Men often develop MPB (Male Pattern Baldness) leading to higher (raised) hairline. Some men have naturally raised frontal hair line. As compared to men, females have lower hairline, but more important factor is the difference in the pattern of hairline. Females have frontal hair line which is higher in the middle while male frontal hairline is lower in middle. If we look on sides of the frontal hairline (also referred to as corners or temples), female hairline have lower corners while a male hairline is typically characterised by higher corners.
Converting Male Hairline to Female Hairline-
Majority of the trans-women only need to fill angles (corners).
Those who have higher hairline and typical ‘M’ pattern may need to lower the hairline and convert M pattern into inverted ‘U’ pattern frontal hairline.
- The best option for this is
Hair Transplant– Main aim of hair transplant remains to get a hairline which is natural without any noticeable signs of procedure. In other words, hairline looks so natural that nobody can notice that hair transplant has been done. For this graft direction and angle of individual hair consistent with its location on hairline is extremely important. The hairs in middle part have forward direction while on sides the angle goes outwards.The follicular units needed for hairline should be of utmost fine quality with one or two hairs in it.
- Another option for frontal hair line is Scalp Advancement (also called as Scalp Reduction) – In this procedure, a part of non-hair bearing skin in front of the hairline is removed and the scalp is advanced downwards to lower the hairline. This usually fills the corner as well as lowers the hairline. This method is not so common as this leaves to a scar in front of hairline which may need hair transplant to make the scar invisible.
Preventive Measures for MPB in transgender (M T F)
- To avoid male pattern baldness, earlier hormonal therapy to block DHT is advisable.
- Very important step is to undergo earliest Sex Change Operation as this leads to elimination of hormonal influence before balding effect of the male hormone sets in.
Treatment / Solution: For a trans-women ( M to F) for Hair Pattern.
Those who have already developed baldness will need hair transplant. Hair transplant is a scientifically and skillfully planned procedure in which hairs from permanent donor area (back of scalp or other parts of body) are taken and transplanted into the bald area. Most important feature is to create perfect hair line with natural density without any signs of treatment being recognised.
Depending on the need Hair Transplant falls into two categories:
- FUT (Follicular Unit Transplant): In this a hair-bearing strip of permanent hair is taken from the back of scalp. From the strip, individual follicular units / hair grafts are separated out and transplant into the bald area.
- FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction): In this procedure hair follicles are removed individually from the donor site, and thus transplanted into the bald area.
For more details on hair transplant click here